This is another very common preparation method, both in the west and east. Making kratom tea is fairly simple:
- Add water to pot (3-10 ounces)
- Add desired kratom dose
- Simmer for 15 – 45 minutes (20 minutes typically suffices)
- Optional: strain powder
Tea is considered effective by many because of the quick onset of effects; however, by straining out the powder, one may lose the full alkaloid spectrum of the plain leaf, reducing some medicinal potentials.
- Adding water to kratom powder and freezing prior to making tea can increase the amount of alkaloids absorbed
- Adding lemon juice, or small amounts of citric acid can also increase amount of alkaloids absorbed
- One can salvage the strained powder from tea and reuse it to ensure no alkaloids are wasted
Because some are more sensitive to the bitter taste of kratom tea, many tea recipes have been developed. One of the most effective we have seen for masking the taste of kratom is to mix it with a flavoring, or mixture.
One of the most effective kratom recipes we have found is what we have heard called “Speciosa Chai”. This method is very simple and is composed of a few simple steps:
- Condense kratom tea to 3-4 ounces
- Add 4-5 ounces of Chai tea mixture
- Add sugar & cream/milk if desired
There are a variety of different chai mixtures one can experiment with; however, the Tazo Organic Chai Black Tea mix is the favorite we have seen at an associated kava bar in our area.
Something that we have seen to be surprisingly effective at masking the taste are pump flavorings– especially the fruit-based flavorings. You can find these pump flavorings at local coffee shops or online for a very reasonable cost.